It is almost 100% true that IT projects are within budget and are on time on the first day. Starting day two, however....
So what makes projects late. Here are just a few of the reasons:
- Project’s work breakdown structure is incomplete (misses reality?)
- Estimates for work completion are made to fit a schedule vs fit the reality of the work.
- Unsophisticated tool set that not only doesn't speed work, but also may make efforts slower.
- Primitive work product production, retention, update and utilization environments that prohibits current and correct work products.
- Lack of integration, interoperability, and non-redundancy across work products.
- Missing independent verification & validation support.
- Carrying forward incorrect or missing requirements into first version of business information system that either causes outright rejection or causes the need for an immediate version 2 efforts.
This category of presentations, demonstrations, and papers address all these project failure issues.